History & Description
Palm Springs, California
The Movie Colony (TMC) is a neighborhood in Palm
Springs, California, named after the many famous movie stars who owned
homes beween the 1930's & 1960's. Some famous movie stars who had
a home in TMC are Cary Grant, Dinah Shore, Jack Benny, Marilyn Monroe
and Al Jolson.
TMC is located in central Palm Springs, within walking distance
to the downtown, and is comprised of approximately 170 homes. The
recognized boundaries by the City of Palm Springs and the Palm Springs
Board of Realtors are: Tachevah Road on the North, Alejo Road on
the South, Avenida Caballeros on the East and Indian Canyon on the
Within TMC are two parks. Ruth Hardy Park is located between Via
Miraleste, Avenida Caballeros, Tamarisk Road and Tachevah Road.
The Park has 8 tennis courts, 2 children's play areas, a basketball
court, 2 volleyball courts, picnic tables with barbeque's, large
open fields and ample parking.
The Wellness Park is a 5-acre wellness oasis inspired by the Desert
Healthcare District (www.dhcd.org).
It is located at the corner of Tachevah Road and Via Miraleste across
the street from the Desert Regional Medical Center. (
www.desertmedctr.com). It offers a quarter-mile walking/jogging
loop, five exercise/fitness stations, and four gardens - mediatation,
healing, fragrance and a memorial garden. The Desert Water Agency
contributed a demonstraton site for native, drought-tolerant landscaping
and irrigation. In 2005 the Park was completed in collaboration
with the City of Palm Springs, the Desert Water Agency and the Palm
Springs Unified School district.
TMC's proximity to the Palm Springs International Airport is approximately
3 miles and is the Highway 111 Exit on Interstate 10 if coming from the west,
and the Indian Trail Exit if coming from the East. (look for the windmills).
TMC has four hotels that have been totally renovated: The Colony Palms, The Movie Colony Hotel,
El Mirasol, & Triada (formerly the Spanish Inn which was originally owned by Alan Ladd). The
Movie Colony Hotel is located on Indian Canyon Drive at the corner of Via Altamira. It has
16 modernist rooms, Hollywood glamour with poolside relaxation.
TMC is within walking distance of Downtown Palm Springs where there
are many fine restaurants, shops and live entertainment
The Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce site is located at
The local newspaper for Palm Springs is The Desert Sun (
|History & Description
| The Movie Colony
is a neighborhood in the City of Palm Springs, famous for the
movie stars who had homes here between the 1930's and the 1960's.
It is located in central Palm Springs.